Tuesday, April 17, 2012

First road-trip in a car

Just returned from a one day road-trip to Pondicherry.  My road-trips are usually on bikes but this time around, it was a car. I usually prefer bikes because I love to drive/ride instead of sitting idle as a passenger.  But I would be lying if I said that a car is not as much fun as a bike.  Its just not the same sort of fun.  On a bike, its about the freedom, adventure, scenery, speed, highway and being in control etc.  But in a car, its more about relaxing, chatting, listening to music, fooling around and not to mention, the comfort of air-conditioning..  :P

I was also quite surprised by the speed.  Intellectually, I knew that cars were capable of going much faster than bikes without stressing the passengers.  I was staring out the window and suddenly wondered, why the hell are we going so slow!  Then I looked into the speedo and realized that we were doing 80 and above.  Even my avenger can do 80 without breaking a sweat, but I would be aware of it.  When I'm on a bike and going past 80, I would be able to sense it and feel the speed as the wind hits me and pushes me back.  But in a car, I feel nothing and the comfort of it fools me into thinking that we are just sailing along slowly.  I'll have to keep this in my mind if/when I get a car and go on a drive.  I did drive the car for a couple of kilometers, thanks to my friends who were brave enough to let me drive.

Its always hard to explain why a road-trip is such fun.  We don't do it because its cheaper or more comfortable or to show-off.  There isn't always a quantifiable advantage with choosing a car/bike over a bus or train.  Maybe, that's exactly the point.  We spend our entire life calculating the advantages and taking rational decisions that once in a while, it just feels good to simply let go and do something just for the heck of it.  You don't worry about planning anything; you just start when you feel like starting, rest when you feel like resting and have fun non-stop.

When the trip comes to an end and you realize that you have to return to your life, go to work, etc., that is the moment you will also realize that this meaningless trip was so meaningful that all you want to do is rewind the clock and start the trip all over again.  So, thanks again to my friends Thyagu, Deva and Arjun for making this possible!

3 comments:

  1. Road trips are definitely fun..In US, I had the experience of my first road trip in a car. It was just awesome and something very new for me. We rented two cars Camry and Dodge. I am still in love with Camry :)
    Yet to experience the adventures of a bike trip.
    I think road trip makes the journey more beautiful and interesting than the destination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey u enjoyed the ride when thyagu, deva and arjun were with u ... i couldn belive that... I think u must have opted to stare at the roads instead of their mokkais :P

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to speak your mind..