Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Life at Trivandrum!

I have just spent a week at Trivandrum, Kerala for training in TCS. Having spent a lenient school and college life, I had my share of fears about entering the office-goer's life. But rest assured, my fears were baseless. I enjoy coding programs and I seem to be slightly above average at this. This combined with my love for typing in a keyboard and sitting in-front of computers, has made the whole experience a dream. Then again, this is just training.

Learning here is a completely different approach compared to our educational system. We are not taught in classes here; that is, not completely. Corporates practice self-learning. That is, they will teach you the basics, but it is you who has to learn on a daily basis. Meaning, we get a computer (in the lab) and we are given time to practice the art of coding. We are given questions but no answers. We have to figure it out ourselves. Our educational system never teaches us to think. We were given questions and the answers. Education should in fact teach us to think, not restrict us by giving us finite amount of answers for finite amount of questions.

Let me also mention about the life and the climate. This is completely a new experience for me in this aspect. Shops here shut down by 9.30 or 10pm. Waking up at 5 in the morning daily and having to wash some of my clothes by myself is a new experience (but I've got a shower!! :D) There are lots of book stores, opticals and liquor stores. The roads are like hill slopes and I see a lot of Bullets and Volkswagens and Fiats. Guess the people here have a good taste at least when it comes to automobiles.. :P That kinda sums up Trivandrum, in my perspective at least. The climate is extremely pleasant at times and a little hot at times. But most of the time, it is just good enough.

Life here is pretty good then. I just wish I had a laptop and an internet connection. But hey, I ain't complaining!

3 comments:

  1. Yash Goyani (taconite)December 23, 2009 at 10:46 AM

    Nice.... Good to hear that you are enjoying.. :)
    Anyways, can you elaborate more on the questions asked in your training ? A few examples will be great..

    ReplyDelete
  2. "my love for typing in a keyboard and sitting in-front of computers"
    Impressed with this one brother :D
    Looks more like me !

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Vignesh: You too eh? Cool.. :D

    @ Yash: Thank you.. I don't think I'm allowed to reveal them. Besides, the very point I was emphasizing in my post is that we shouldn't worry about the marks and the questions but should rather concentrate on the larger goal of learning new things.. :P

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to speak your mind..